Friday, June 24

El vis Cos tello - The ALTERNATE Trust

Alternate Takes, Rehearsals, Live Versions
In-studio tracks recorded July-Nov. 1980

soundboard, FM & audience recordings (sound quality: VG to Ex-) 

-none officially released-

click on image for enlarged view

ROB SEZ: By popular demand, here's another installment in the "Classic Albums Revisited" series. (By the way, I'm not going to do alternate versions of every EC album: just a handful that I like — and for which I have rare & worthy material to share.) Recently, I posted a full live version and a full alternate version of EC's classic 1982 album. This time around, it's a single compilation album with a mix of alternate takes, band rehearsals, and live versions. As I put it together, I kept marveling at the creativity of EC's melodies & lyrics and The Attractions' musical swagger. They were crazy great! A few of the alternate takes and rehearsals are admitedly not terribly different from the master takes officially released on the album. But trainspotters like me should enjoy playing "spot the difference." This album's songs were recorded at Eden Studios, Acton, London in the fall of 1980, so I'm guessing the alternate takes were recorded at the same time. The band rehearsals might've been recorded at DJM Studios, Holborn, London a few months earlier. In some cases, my secret source only offered unexciting alternates for some of these songs. When that happened, I went looking for compelling live recordings. As with the last post, most all my master sources this time were high-quality lossy files, which explains why there's no lossless version. Please enjoy.

REPERCUSSION: There is a connection, albeit indirect, between EC and The dB's. When Chris, Will, Gene and Peter got the band going in the late 1970s, they aspired to become an American version of The Attractions. A lofty goal — and one they very nearly achieved, musically speaking.

  
P.S. - Track 07 in this compilation bears a resemblance to the "Alternate Version" found on the bonus disc of the 2003 reissue, particulary in its tempo. Upon careful listening, however, you'll notice there's a distinctly different vocal take in the version included here.  

5 comments:

  1. My pleasure, wardo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Hope we can look forward to an alt version of Get Happy!! in the future : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again, thank you sir. Listened to GH!! as I would shower, etc. before class. More to the point, after I brought my classmates home for beverages and herbal refreshments after class. Elvis earned some new fans those afternoons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No doubt, a powerful combination! 8-)

      Delete

NO SPAM! I monitor all comments for spam & unrelated promo comments, all of which are deleted immediately. Don't waste your time...