Friday, October 30

Blue Nile - July '90 double shot

Park West
Chicago, IL
July 28, 1990
    
audience recording (sound quality VG+; an exceptional audience recording)
   

    
ROB SEZ: My regular followers know I have a soft spot for quality pop bands from overseas. And I have a special fondness for Scotland's Blue Nile, who make hushed, heart-felt pop of a high order. If you don't know the Blue Nile, this double shot from the band's 1990 tour of the U.S. wouldn't be a bad introduction.

HEAP O' THANKS to the tapers and sharers

SETLIST for both shows:

01 stage entrance
02 A Walk Across the Rooftops 
03 Tinseltown In the Rain
04 Heatwave
05 Over the Hillside
06 Stay
07 Easter Parade
08 The Downtown Lights
09 Saturday Night
10 Headlights On the Parade
11 Seven AM
12 Let's Go Out Tonight
The Bottom Line
New York, NY
July 23, 1990
    
soundboard recording (quality VG+)

(setlist same as above)

The Blue Nile
Paul Buchanan - vocals, guitars
P.J. Moore - keyboards, electronics
Robert Bell - bass
  
Nigel Thomas - drums
Larry Saltzman - guitars, keyboards 
Steve Gaboury - keyboards


MP3@320


Learn more about the music of the Blue Nile at Wikipedia and the band's FB page
   


21 comments:

  1. Not quite the DB's but the Blue Nile were incredible; thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. The.....Blue.....Nile.... - "not quite the DB's....."

    I'll say they aren't. Mind blown. Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the only live show I've ever come across for them. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks - think I might have a recording of their Manchester show from the same tour stored somewhere. Great band.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. Have you read the bio of the band? Well-written, but rather heart-breaking re: their dissolution...

      Delete
  5. Thanks for posting the Chicago show - I was the guy who taped the show. It's still a top 10 show for me and my wife after all these years... Amazing band and the looks on their faces as the played was magical. I think they were in disbelief that there would be people in the states interested. I still remember the feet tapping to the songs as they went. Dan T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you, Dan. That's a lovely recording you made of a beautiful show. Great story about being there...

      Delete
  6. Just downloading the Blue Nile show, thanks for sharing. I've got another couple of bits and pieces if youre interested get back to me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Richard - I have lots of Blue Nile rarities, but am curious as to what your bits & pieces might be. I could not figure out a way to get in touch with you privately, so please feel free to email me: rdfield AT rocketmail DOT com.

      Delete
  7. Rob-in-Brevard.
    I love The Blue Nile. Can you message me to tell me what rarities you have.
    Email: Jtraynor2@me.com
    Many thanks. Joe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Joe. As you might've guessed, I love the Blue Nile also.

    Will email you in a bit...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Richard McGhie: Please, please!! If you have those "bits and pieces", by the love of god!, Share them!!.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Rob,
    Is this show still available to download?
    Thanks, Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave - Yes, click on the link marked MP3@320 and it will take you to Dropbox. Highlight the title of the file, then select download. Should receive a zipped file a minute or 2 later...

      Delete
  11. I believe i was at this show. If its the same show the singer says something near the beginning along the lines that they 'didnt think anyone would be here'. Capacity crowd in a beautiful theater, not concert seating. Great show. Amazing band.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty sure that was the only Chicago performance by The Blue Nile -- ever. So if you saw the band in Chicago, it must've been this show! But if you mean the NYC gig, I can't swear it was the band's only NYC performance...

      Delete
  12. I have a soundboard recording from September 13, 1990 in England. Do you have that show? Same set but missing the last 2 songs that these shows have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're talking about one of their shows in Sept. 1990 in Manchester, yes -- I have a couple of those, since they performed multiple shows there that month. I also have one from Glasgow dates Sept. 24.

      Delete
    2. Yes that's the one. Just wanted to make sure you had it. Thanks!

      Delete
    3. Hey - thanks for checking! Always glad to chat with other BN fans... 8-)

      Delete

NO SPAM! I monitor all comments for spam & unrelated promo comments, all of which are deleted immediately. Don't waste your time...