Friday, January 6

Soft Boys - Hoboken, N.J. 1980 + Live 2001-'02

Maxwell’s
Hoboken, N.J.
Sept. 6, 1980

audience recording (VG; club show, with plusses outweighing the minuses by a solid margin) 

01 Kingdom of Love
02 Out of the Picture
03 Zip Zip
04 Human Music
05 I Wanna Destroy You
06 Only the Stones Remain 
07 Leppo & the Jooves
08 Queen of Eyes
09 There's Nobody Like You
10 Underwater Moonlight
11 Insanely Jealous
12 Astronomy Domine

ROB SEZ: I purchased this recently as a silver (pressed) boot. I transferred the files losslessly, then used Audacity to tidy them up, applying fades & enough eq to remove the uncomfortable tinny-ness that first greeted my ears. To compensate for the not-quite-ideal result, I’ve added the following two live radio sessions from 2001 and 2002. I recorded, transferred, tracked, & eq’d them for your listening pleasure. (Notice the lack of track duplication with the MBE sessions, though just 19 months apart.) If you've never had the pleasure, I highly recommend reading Kimberley Rew's eyewitness account of the Soft Boys. I have a few more Soft Boys sets I can share, but some encouraging comments will be helpful if you really want 'em...

Front Man Syndrome: does Robyn ever get tired of being the only guy in the photo?

‘Morning Becomes Eclectic’ with Nic Harcourt
KCRW-FM
Robyn has company this time, thanks to the Soft Boys
Santa Monica, CA
April 9, 2001
(broadcast date)
What an amazing radio station. Thanks, KCRW...

web stream (sound quality VG+ to VG++) 

01 intro
02 Kingdom of Love
03 Old Pervert
04 My Mind Is Connected 
     to Your Dreams
05 I Wanna Destroy You
06 interview
07 Sudden Town
08 Underwater Moonlight
09 The Face of Death
10 Pulse of My Heart
11 outro

Nov. 4, 2002 (broadcast date)
[all other info same as above]

01 intro
02 Queen of Eyes
03 Unprotected Love
04 Chinese Bones
05 Seven-Winged Bat 
06 interview
07 Narcissus
08 La Cherité
09 song intro + tuning
10 If You Know Time
11 final chat


MP3@320
Sample the tasty musical madness of the Soft Boys here (1980 live clip)
Learn more about the Soft Boys' music at 
   

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the Soft Boys - I've been exploring them more through the Robyn Hitchcock connection! If you have the "Soft Boys - 2001 - Various Live" collection I saw had been shared online elsewhere a while back I'd love to hear that! Thanks either way for your shares on your blog (incidentally I seem to have found a way to access the Robyn Hitchcock Radio Sessions files in the end! :)).

    ReplyDelete

NO SPAM! I monitor all comments for spam & unrelated promo comments, all of which are deleted immediately. Don't waste your time...